For Joomla 3, user management is done through ‘User Manager’. A user is defined as a person who has the authorization to access the Joomla components.
Steps for adding a user:
- Login to your website’s control panel as administrator and the ‘control panel’ page will be displayed.
- Click on ‘User Manager’ option that is present on the left hand side of the page under the group ‘USERS’ and then a ‘User Manager: Users’ page will be displayed.
- Click on ‘New’ for adding a new user. After clicking on this button, Joomla will display ‘User Manager: Add New User’ page.
- Enter the name of the user in the ‘Name’ field. This is not the login name but the real name of the user. This name cannot be used for logging in to Joomla.
- Enter the login name for the ‘Login Name’ field. This name will be used for logging in to Joomla.
- The fields ‘password’ and ‘confirm password’ are for providing password to the user.
- Enter the email address of the user in the ‘Email’ field. If the admin wants to send any notification to the registered user, it will be sent on the registered email id; therefore it is compulsory to enter the email address of the user.
- Now click on ‘Save & Close’ for creating a new user and close the ‘User Manager: Add New User’ page as well.
- After this process, Joomla will create a new user. If you open the ‘User Manager: Users’ page, you will be able to see the newly added user in the users list.
Steps for modifying a user:
- Click on the respective user name of the user that you wish to modify from the ‘User Manager: Users’ page. You can also select the user by selecting the check box associated with the respective user name and click on the ‘Edit’ option.
- Joomla will display ‘User Manager: Edit User’ page so that you can edit the user.
- You can edit the user details here and once you are done, click on the ‘Save & Close’ option in order to save the changes and go back to the ‘User Manager: Users’ page.