By adding schema markup or structured data, you can rank better and present more relevant information to the searchers.
You need to follow the steps mentioned below for adding schema markup to your website:
- Go to Structured Data Markup Helper by Google.
- Select the type of data that you wish to markup. There will be several options listed for you. Let’s say that you wish to markup Articles.
- Paste in the URL of the web page or article that you would like to markupIn case you just have HTML, you can paste that as well.
- Next click on ‘Start Tagging’.
- The next page will load inside the markup tool and it will provide the workspace required for the next step of markup – tagging items. You will be able to view your web page in the left side pane and the data items in the right side pane.
- Highlight and select the type of elements that you want to markup. We are assuming that we are marking up an article. In this case you must highlight the name of the article for adding the ‘Name’ markup. When the highlighting is done, you need to select the ‘Name’ option from the tooltip.
- When you select the option ‘name’, it will be added to the ‘Data Items’ in the right side pane.
- You can continue to add more markup items. You can refer to the list of data items and highlight other important items in your article for adding them to the markup list. You won’t be able to add every item in your list, so add what is important.
- Create HTML. Once you are done adding the items, click on ‘Create HTML’.
- In the next page, you will see the HTML source of your page along with the relevant microdata inserted in the places that you selected.
- Add schema markup to your page. Your next step is to login to your CMS or the source code in case you are not using a CMS for adding the highlighted snippets in the appropriate places. Look for the yellow markers on the scroll bar for getting the schema markup code.
- An easy alternative to this step is downloading the automatically-generated HTML file, copying it and pasting it in your website’s source code or CMS.
- Once you click on ‘Finish’, you will be shown a list of ‘Next Steps’. You can select the appropriate step according to what you wish to do next.
- Make use of the Structured Data Testing Tool to see how your page looks like with schema markup.